October 11, 2004

House Envy

I have to admit to having some house envy right now, even though I know I shouldn't. Over the weekend, Josh wanted to visit with some friends who just recently moved into a $600K+ house, and, needless to say, it's huge. In my opinion, it's a lot more house than the two of them really need, even with a baby on the way. Oh, the unfairness of it all!

Ok, I'm done venting now...... :)

Actually, I think, more than envy, I'm just feeling frustrated with the DC housing market. I mean, it seems rather odd to me that two people who are holding down decent, steady jobs can't afford even a small house with a little bit of yard anywhere within thirty miles of the city or good transportation routes. What seems even more odd is that the small condo we currently own has appreciated so much in the two years since we purchased it that, if we were trying to buy it now, we probably couldn't.

Josh keeps telling me that prices will level off or even decline within the next few years because, economically speaking, they have to at some point. I just hope it happens before our child goes off to college!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lenise said...

'K, here's what you do: cash in on your equity, then buy a house in Mebane! You probably wouldn't even need to carry a mortgage, so you could pay ours and then you & I could be happy SAHMs!!!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

If mebane had a good bus system so I could get around easily, I might take you up on that suggestion! Unless, of course, you're willing to help chaffeur me around! :)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Lenise said...

Hey, if you're paying my mortgage, I think we can work something out ;) I'll even let Josh have my job!

10:34 AM  
Blogger KYP said...

I'd like to come too! Might Mebane have a spot affordable for a poor graduate student? The three of us could form an enclave. If it is possible for just 3 people to be enclavable. Of course, we could calculate in the children and spice too.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Lenise said...

Well, there are two houses on our block listed under $100,000, and then there's this: http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1037971487?lnksrc=00045

Come on down, Tanichka!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I think an enclave is a wonderful idea! You could just rent a room from us, Christina! :)

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home