August 18, 2007

A Question

Up until this evening, Jonah has usually communicated his culinary cravings by saying "Want some" or "Try some" while pointing to whatever food or drink has caught his fancy. This evening after dinner, however, as I was pouring myself a cup of iced tea, he walked up to me and asked, "Could I have some tea?" A real question. Just like that.

My jaw dropped for a second or two, and then I said, "That's very good asking, sweetie! I'm very proud of you!"

Now ordinarily, I wouldn't give Jonah tea. One of the last things a two-year-old needs is a combination of caffeine and sugar. However, since he had asked so nicely and properly, I decided to let him have a small sip if he really wanted it. I offered him the cup and asked, "Do you want to try some tea?"

He looked at the contents of the cup, looked up at me, and exclaimed, "NOOO!"

Oh, well. You can lead the horse to water, or he may even ask to be led to said water, but you can't make him drink.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Jay has had tea, and he liked it ;) I haven't let him have any in a while. I haven't really been wanting it this pregnancy. I couldn't tell you why. Maybe a subconscious caffeine aversion (though it doesn't work against Coke or Pepsi!)

That is very good, though! Jay just says "'Ave some? 'Ave some?" while interposing his hand between your face and whatever it is you're trying to eat. Charming, eh? *Sigh*

10:13 PM  
Blogger KYP said...

That's hilarious! It was such a polite and seemingly sincere question, too! :)

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home