May 25, 2005

Things That Make Your Heart Stop

Jonah woke up at around midnight for his nightly feeding and diaper change. With a clean bottom and a full tummy, I managed to get him back to sleep in our bed at around 1 AM, at which point I was able to go back to sleep. He was sleeping on his side when he fell asleep, as he is sometimes wont to do, so I left him in that position. When I woke up around 3:30 AM I found him sleeping on his stomach and facing the other way! My heart stopped cold, and I couldn't sleep again afterthat. Isn't it too soon for him to have figured out how to do this without at least whimpering in his sleep or something? I was completely freaked out. Is this normal?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lenise said...

If he's on his side, it's not too hard for him to end up on his belly. Babies are wily little creatures.

I remember sometime in Jay's first month when he was in bed with us he used to make LOUD high-pitched gasps, and one time when he did it in the middle of the night, it scared me to death, and although it only took a split-second to realize that it was "normal", it took me a long time to get back to sleep. Another motherhood milestone: not being able to sleep despite substantial sleep-deprivation b/c some measly little thing your baby did scared you out of your wits ;)

9:02 AM  
Blogger Lenise said...

BTW, Jay would end up on his stomach a lot (it's very easy to roll when you have a parent/ditch on either side of you), and this was in our bed with a quilt and sheet and all. We would horrify all the experts, but our baby slept!

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home