December 21, 2004

First Reading a Success!

I was a lector for the first time at my church this past Sunday. I even got to take part in the procession with the altarboys and the priest, meaning that I walked down the aisle carrying the book of Gospels in front of me and above my head and placed it on the altar before going to my appointed seat. I then proclaimed the first reading, which was from the book of the prophet Isaiah. I was a little nervous with something around a thousand pairs of eyes on me, but I made it through by the grace of the Holy Spirit. It also helped to have my supportive husband there as well as to receive encouragement from the more experienced reader who was there to proclaim the second reading!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lenise said...

I remember Mom doing that at the Lutheran church in Strongsville- don't think I ever participated. At our current church, you pretty much have to be an elder to read in the service, and since our elders have to be men...

I did get to be the cantor once at my church in Chapel Hill. I really miss all the interaction and ritual of the liturgy when I think about it.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Any chance of Paul converting to Lutheranism? :) I'm still working on Josh to get him indoctrinated, uh, I mean, converted to the Catholic ways! :)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Lenise said...

Paul is a lot pickier about the finer points of doctrine than I am, and to tell you the truth, I don't like the direction the ELCA seems to be headed. They don't seem to be convinced that the Bible is more right than our culture. I anticipate its only being a matter of time before the ELCA starts ordaining practicing homosexuals and discarding other Biblical standards that are at odds with American society. It makes me sad, but at the same time, I'm thankful to be in a church with a more reliable commitment to Biblical truth.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home